Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cheap Chicken

I processed all my split chicken breasts. I removed the skin and deboned each breast, then tossed the carcass with the tender into the stock pot - or in this case pots. I had three pots going on the stove at once.

I ended up with six 5.5 lb packages. I had seven, but Mom (who taught me how to price match) didn't manage to score any, so I gave her one - would have given her two, but she refused. Love you Mom! Most packages only had five breasts per package - they were big! I ended up with ten bags of three boneless skinless breasts. Five bags (approx. 2 cups each) of cooked shredded chicken. And last but not least, ten bags of broth (2 cups each).

The cost breakdown: Each package was 5.5 lbs and cost $3.14 @ .57 cents per pound. So, I got it all for $18.84 Roughly $1.25 per package and I should be able to get two meals out of each package. The broth, we will just count that as FREE!

It's funny, I wouldn't even let my Mom teach me how to cut up a whole chicken when I was a kid. I told her that I would buy my chicken already cut up! LOL Now, I prefer to buy it as unprocessed as possible. The less a food product has been handled, the fewer people have had their hands on it. And it saves money!

No comments:

Post a Comment