Friday, February 13, 2009

Shopping at Wal-Mart

I know some people hate Wal-Mart. But, not everyone in these United States has the luxury of multiple stores from which to choose. The closest town with more than two grocery stores is almost 40 miles from here. But, I can and do save a lot of money by shopping at Wal-Mart. None of the stores here double coupons, so if you are in an area with lots of choices and they double coupons, you might do better elsewhere.

Wal-Mart price matches. So, I can collect the ads from neighboring towns and WM will sell me their sale ad items for the same price. You have to match size and brand exactly, except in the case of store brands like "Best Choice" or "Always Save", then WM will sell you their store brand "Great Value" for the other store's price.

This week a local store had split chicken breasts on sale for .57 lb. That is correct. Fifty-seven cents per pound. So far, I have bought five packages.** I debone the chicken breasts (discarding the skin) and package them to freeze. Since I am not great at deboning, I put tender and bones in a stock pot and boil with some onion, celery and carrot. I pull out the meat and pick it off the bones - great for chicken noodle soup, chicken salad - anything you would use canned chicken for and it tastes so much better. Strain the stock and you will never have to pay for chicken broth again. I just freeze it in a ziplock type bag. Easy Peasy.

The best way to get the most bang for your buck at WM is to match coupons with your price matching. This week Ritz crackers (that the boy LOVES and his mommy is usually too cheap to buy - lol) were $2.98 at WM. Country Mart had them on sale two for $5. And I had a coupon for $2 off two. My price? $1.50 per box. Almost half price.

Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner. It can't remember the exact price, but it was over $3. This week another store had them 2/$5 and I had a $3 off two. That is $1.00 each. Cheaper than Suave!

** I didn't buy all five packages at once and I didn't take all they had. I will make at least one other trip this week to WM - when we go to church - I can't make special trips to town for just chicken - lol. We are fifteen miles from the nearest town.

5 comments:

  1. I dig Wal-Mart - it's by far the best I can do around here. Regarding chicken breasts, I found this Frugal Friday post a while back and it's awesome!

    http://frugalcooker.blogspot.com/2008/08/frugal-friday-using-bone-in-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i live in a small town in northeast texas so we are neighbors! lol i only have a walmart also and get so envious of the savings these other bloggers get. but i love my wm- it has great deals that other wms don't. :) i bought the ritz today too but no admatch for me i'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be afraid to ad match! I can save 40-50% off my grocery bill! If it takes me two hours to plan and I save $50 it is like making $25 an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it matter what brands the meat is? At my Kroger, they sell Sanderson Farms chicken, but only Tyson at our WM....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had any problems price matching meat. I am looking at an Edward's ad right now advertising boneless, skinless chicken breasts fro $1.59 lb. It doesn't say anything about brand in the ad. It will probably depend on your actual store.

    ReplyDelete